Things to do
There is a never ending list of things that would be nice
to do with this web site. There are also some ideas that
aren't going anyplace.
Things to do on the Wordsearch Web site:
- Avoid "naughty" words in the generated text. Allow the words
if they are a portion of an input word. (e.g. Assume that "ass"
is a bad word, and that one of the words in the puzzle is "assume".)
Deal with different languages.
- Solve puzzles online. This will be difficult.
- PDF files with long titles get cut off.
- PDF files have insufficient margins on the top and left.
- Implement a search over the public puzzles.
To a certain extent, the google search fills this need.
- Allow the user to control the number of rows/columns.
- Allow the user to specify a word or phrase that gets put into the
unused character cells. This is hard, because there can be an
arbitrary number of empty cells.
- Spell check.
- Allow different shapes for finished puzzles. Round, heart-shaped,
the outline of an image. It's not clear how the user would specify
Things that have been considered and discarded, They could be
reconsidered at a later date.
- RSS feed.
This has the problem that we need to avoid spammers.
Perhaps only feed items as they are put into the permanent collection.
- Discussion forum.
Lots of kids use this site. There will be twits and spammers.
I don't see how to do this in a reasonable way.